Sunday, February 12, 2012

Online RSVP

After messing with Wordpress and Wordpress plugins (apparently, there's a difference between wordpress.com and wordpress.org and it is impossible to use plugins on the former and impossible to join the underworld of the latter if you aren't code-savvy, so forget it) until I nearly went insane, my bridesmaid Maxine, who is ever adept at everything bridesmaidey (and at everything else too!), found an article suggesting we use Google documents instead...

And it works!

To any future brideys looking for a free online RSVP form that you can totally customize, in your gmail (you should have gmail by now, right?), click on "Documents" at the top (or wherever they put it when they change it- I think under the rollover gmail thingy at the top left), and then hit "CREATE". When that menu drops down, you click "Form" and you create your form. I used the code it generated to embed mine in a blogger blog just by pasting it into a post in "html" mode instead of the "compose" mode. 

It was all pretty magical in the end. I'd post a link to my RSVP page, but I don't want scragglers who find this blog to invite themselves. :D If this blog still gets hits later on, after I'm done tallying results, then I'll come back and post it here.

In the meantime, here's a screenshot of the first page of the survey I created as it appears on the blog I created for it:



See?!?! It turned out awesome. If they hit "yes", they're brought to a page where they enter what they want to eat, if they have allergies or whatever and if they need help finding accommodation. The last question on that page is whether or not there will be other guests, and depending on the answer, you either get brought to further pages to give more information or to the last page (a "no" answer always brings you to the last page). On the last page, I left a big text box in case anybody (including the nays) wanted to say something.

You can choose the background of your survey too, although options are a little bit limited. And all the results are sent to a google spreadsheet and they even produce handy little pie charts for each question aside from the text ones. So yey.

It lets you have text box replies (short or long), drop down menus, multiple choice, check box choices and probably others too, but I didn't really need the rest, so I can't go into detail about them or anything. You also choose which questions are required and which bring you to a different page (if necessary). It really was awesome to use and the finished product is better than anything else I could have asked for. Free!

Done and done. Now all I need to do is get the invites finished and we're set.

YEY!

2 comments:

Maxine said...

I'm glad it all worked out! And the RSVP looks very nice :)

Sweet T said...

Awesome!